Earth Day Recycling Event
Elk Grove Village, in partnership with Elk Grove High School, is hosting its first Earth Day Recycling Event!
Earth Day Recycling Event
Saturday, April 22, 8am - 11am
Elk Grove High School Parking Lot
This event will focus on recycling opportunities for many materials that cannot be disposed of through residents’ curbside refuse and recycling program. Elk Grove residents and residents of other SWANCC-member communities (www.swancc.org) are welcome to participate in this free event. This is a residential recycling event; materials from businesses will not be accepted.
What Items Will be Accepted for Recycling at this event?
- American Flags
- Batteries - Household alkaline batteries (AA, AAA, C, D, 9V) and rechargeable (NiCd, NiMh, lithium ion, lithium polymer) batteries will be accepted. Separate alkaline from rechargeable batteries. Tape contact points only on rechargeable batteries. Do not place batteries in individual bags. Batteries leaking acid will not be accepted. Car, marine or other liquid batteries are not accepted
- Cell Phones
- CFL Light Bulbs - Bulbs should be placed in a zip-lock-type bag. Broken bulbs can not be accepted and should be disposed of in your household trash. For safety steps on cleaning up a broken CFL bulb, visit epa.gov/cflcleanup.http://epa.gov/cflcleanup. LED light bulbs (commonly sold now), incandescent bulbs or long fluorescent tubes will not be accepted
- Clothing/Household Goods - Women’s, Men’s, and Children’s Clothing, accessories, jewelry, scarves, shoes, handbags, linens and housewares will be accepted.
- Cooking Oil - Only the cooking oil will be accepted - ontainers will be emptied at the recycling event and returned to residents.
- Fire Extinguishers
- Medications - Prescription medications and over the counter medications will be accepted. Liquid medications and pharmaceutical controlled substances are not accepted in this program.
- Motor Oil
- Paint (Latex or Oil) in cans or containers - non-architecture paint, spray cans, solvents, or leaking cans will NOT be accepted
- Sharps - Sharps (needles/syringes) must be placed in a sealed rigid container. Residents may also use containers such as a laundry detergent bottle or coffee can with the lid taped and sealed. Additionally, any container must be placed in a zip lock bag.
This event will not include recycling of electronics. The Village will continue hosting our annual Electronics Recycling and Document Destruction Event, which is scheduled for Saturday, June 3.
Interested in volunteering? Call 847-357-4006 or e-mail email@example.com for more information.